Connect with us

International

Security remains in doubt as Olympic games begin in few hours

Published

on

 

London (Jago News) — As tens of thousands of athletes, team officials and visitors gather in London ahead of the Olympic opening ceremony on Friday, security is paramount for the Games organizers and British authorities.

And perhaps the biggest headache of all is the challenge of safeguarding the more than 100 heads of state and foreign dignitaries who will attend the opening ceremony at the Olympic Park — Queen Elizabeth II, first lady Michelle Obama and U.S. presidential hopeful Mitt Romney among them.

But should visitors and competitors be worried?

Security concerns hit the headlines this month when it emerged that private security contractor G4S, which was supposed to have provided 10,400 guards for the Olympics and Paralympics, would not be able to deliver.

As a result, the government is deploying 18,200 troops — many more than planned and almost twice as many as are in Afghanistan — in order to remedy the shortfall. About 1,200 of those were called up just this week after being placed on standby.

Nonetheless, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, the minister responsible for the Games, said Tuesday that the government “continues to have every confidence that we will deliver a safe and secure Games.”

The decision to call up the extra troops was down to ministers’ determination to “leave nothing to chance,” as they prepare for the largest peacetime event ever staged in Britain, he said.

“G4S numbers continue to rise significantly and we have every expectation that will continue to be the case,” Hunt added.

With just a day to go before the opening ceremony, G4S said it had around 5,800 security personnel deployed at Olympic venues, with more being trained and accredited “each day.” Last week, it said it hoped to have 7,000 fully accredited by the start of the Games, still thousands fewer than it was contracted to provide.

While the recruitment failure by G4S is highly embarrassing for the company, the Games’ organizers insist that their contingency planning will keep everyone safe.

Security officials in the United States say they are supporting the host nation’s efforts during the Games.
The U.S. intelligence community has set up a 24/7 center to analyze all threat information coming in during the Olympics in London, a senior American counterterrorism official said Wednesday.

People with tickets for Olympic events have been sent e-mails giving details of the security requirements for each venue. These include airport-style limits on the size of bags that can be carried and the quantity of liquids that can be taken in.

One such e-mail reads, “Be prepared for security checks when you arrive: this will be like taking an international flight at an airport. It will be busy and you will have to queue, so get there early.”
The 18,200 British military personnel deployed for the Games are to help out with the security checks and stewarding at venues, as well as specialist tasks such as bomb disposal and sniffer dog searches.

The Royal Navy’s largest ship, the helicopter carrier HMS Ocean, is moored in the Thames off Greenwich, where it will be a base for helicopter operations and house troops providing security at the Greenwich Park Olympic venue.

-Jago News-

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Desi Fashion

HSY to stage grand finale at PSFW 2015 with ‘INK’

Published

on

By

hsy

LAHORE, Pakistan: In the lead up to the 8th PFDC Sunsilk Fashion Week (PSFW) being held from the 18 – 21st of April 2015, the Pakistan Fashion Design Council has revealed the names of participating designers, textile houses and high-street brands.

PFDC Schedule

 

 

 

 

The iconic courtier Hassan Sheheryar Yasin (HSY) is set to close PFDC Sunsilk Fashion Week 2015 with “INK”; a collection inspired by Asia and specifically HSY’s journeys to The Land of Rising Sun.

INK represents the essence of Langkawi, Indonesia, Nagasaki, and Yunnan with natural and indigenous yarns, hand-woven to perfection. Expect the traditional dyeing techniques of Shibori from Nagasaki, Batik from Indonesia, and Gara from Sierra Leone infused with mackintosh, saffron, aubergine, eggshell, rosette, indigo and ochre. Created with the scorching sub continental summer in mind, INK channels versatile hemlines to suit a diversity of younger, older, working men, women and homemakers alike.

Big names that will be missed in this edition of PSFW are: 

Fashion giants such as Elan, Shehla Chatoor and Ali Xeeshan are missing from the roster. One may wonder why they choose to miss out on one of the biggest fashion showcases of the year. Ali Xeeshan may be boycotting the event after an unpleasant incident last year at PFDC L’Oreal Bridal Week but what about the rest?

PSFW 2015 kicks off on 18 April and will end on 21 April.

-Jago News-

 

Continue Reading

Featured

AirAsia Indonesia flight QZ8501 is Probably Found

Published

on

By

air-asia-missing

On early Sunday 28th December, 2014 an AirAsia Indonesia airliner flying from Indonesia to Singapore with 162 passengers on board has gone missing.

Search operation held the answer in the report is very little.

This is the third Malaysian-linked aviation disaster this year (2014) , an AirAsia airliner plane traveling from Indonesia to Singapore disappeared early Sunday over the Java Sea. Search Officials and other experts indicate that it probably crashed into the ocean, and although possible the remains of plane that has been badly damaged or destroyed. has already been spotted, nothing has yet been confirmed.

There were 155 passengers on board, the airliner company said in a statement:
• 138 adults, 16 children and one infant
• Most on board were Indonesian
• Several were from other countries: one UK national, a Malaysian, a Singaporean and three South Koreans
• The BBC understands that the British national is Chi-Man Choi
• Two pilots and five crew were also on board – one French, the others Indonesian

Continue Reading

Humanity

Hurricane Sandy: Ten facts and figures

Published

on

By

Hurricane Sandy was a tropical cyclone that severely affected portions of the Caribbean, Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States in late October 2012, with lesser impacts in the Southeastern and Midwestern states and eastern Canada.

1. Hurricane Sandy began in Jamaica on October 22nd, developing from an elongated tropical wave near the Caribbean sea.

2. More than 12,000 flights were canceled due to the hurricane and the three main airports which serve New York City were shut down for two days.

3. In one of the worst affected areas, more than 100 homes were destroyed by an overnight blaze in the Irish enclave of Breezy Point in Queens.

4. There was no trading for two days on Wall Street as a result of the storm damage. The last time the New York Stock Exchange closed for two consecutive days for weather-related reasons was 1888.

5. During the height of the storm, estimates suggest there were over three and a half million tweets with the hashtag #Sandy, according to the New York Times. Instagram’s chief executive officer Kevin Systrom told the Associated Press that about 10 pictures per second were being uploaded to Instagram with the hashtag #sandy.

6. Estimated to run into tens of billions of dollars, the scope and cost of the damage is still unknown. Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey called it “incalculable.”

7. In comparison, Hurricane Irene, a New York storm which hit in August of 2011, cost the city alone $55 million, according to the New York Daily News.

8. As a result of the storm, the Greenwich Village Halloween parade was postponed for the first time in the parade’s 39-year-history.

9. Sandy caused the worst damage in the NY subway’s 108-year-history. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced limited subway service would resume on Thursday, but significant sections of the largest mass-transit system in the U.S. remain disabled.


10. Over 4.8 million customers remained without power on Thursday morning in 15 states and the District of Columbia, according to CNN. The worst affected states are New Jersey with 1,983,694 customers out of power; New York with 1,514,147; Pennsylvania with 526,934; and Connecticut with 352,286.

-Jago News-

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.